Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Melford Miller
    Participant
    #26175 |

WHY I SHOULD KNOW MY GENOTYPE

When most persons think on what to know about their future spouse before marriage, it was things like
    1. If he/she wanted kids,
    2. If we shared similar religious beliefs,
    3. If he was an alcoholic or drug addict,
    4. If he had a history of infidelity or if he had any sexually transmitted diseases.
    Many Nigerians would add other things to the aforementioned incomplete list: The issue of Genotype does not set it, whether their potential spouse has the sickle cell trait or even a Sickler is not in consideration

WHAT IS GENOTYPE ?

Let’s start from the meaning of Genotype in elementary Biology: A genotype is simply the genetic constitution of an individual organism.

TYPES OF GENOTYPE
    Gene is a unit inside a cell that controls a particular quality in a living thing that has been “passed on” from its parents, or inherited from both parents.
    Gene-type found in RBCs are termed “AA”, “AS”, “AC” or “SS”, “CC”, “SC
    = HbAA (normal Gene)
    = HbAS (SICKLE CELL TRAIT ;A person having a normal Hb. Gene “A” with abnormal Hb. Gene “S” or ”C” is said to “carry” Sickle Cell Trait. (Trait is a particular quality in a personality) any one with “AS” or “AC” Genotype are usually strong and can survive Mosquito attack generally)
    = HbSS (Sicklers)
    = HbAC (not common but having similar condition with Genotype AS)

WHY SHOULD I KNOW MY GENOTYPE?
    Over the years, the ignorances of genotype knowledge has brought so many untold suffering on parents/couples blaming witches, Mother inlaws and enemies for health problems associated with their children infancy
    The primary reason for knowing your genotype is to know who to get married to as seen in the table and interpreted below, to avoid reproducing SICKLERS (SS).
    To everybody reading this post, being male or female, child or adult. I strongly encourage you to consult your Doctor for a Genotype test today.
    i strictly recommends that the below table should be practiced in our society.

Genotype
    possible genotype produced
    Medical recommendation

AA – AA
    AA, AA
    Encouraged
    AA – AS
    AA, AS
    Encouraged
    AA – SS
    AA, AS,
    Encouraged
    AS – AS
    AA, AS, SS
    Discouraged
    AS – SS
    AS, SS
    Discouraged
    SS – SS
    SS, SS
    Highly Discouraged

From the table above.
    If your Genotype is AS (SICKLE CELL CARRIER), you have no business (sexual relationship) with anybody with AS as you have the chances of giving birth to a Sickler (SS)
    Genotype SS (sickler) should never go close to anybody with SS for any sexual relationship, it’s an abomination.

Save the lives of your unborn Children and the society in general from menace of SICKLE CELL patients

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.